S1 E6 Synopsis:
Today we’re talking with Don Rowe and O’Ryan Case of ARC of Carroll County. We find out what makes their mission so special and how they are able to support a significant number of individuals with special needs. The Arc of Carroll County is a special non-profit in this area doing wonderful things.
01:40 – Guest Bragging Rights
02:50 – What is The Arc of Carroll County, and how did the non-profit come to exist?
05:05 – O’Ryan’s role at The Arc.
05:50 – O’Ryan shared why he joined The Arc, as an individual with cerebral palsy.
06:40 – Who The Arc serves.
07:30 – The Arcs’ focus: Innovation – Integrity – Respect – Quality – Caring
08:40 – What is the CARF Accreditation? (Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities)
11:25 – The Arc hosts 2 annual fundraising events: Awards Dinner & Golf Tournament
13:00 – The Arc’s relationship with similar organizations in the community, like Target.
14:00 – A small town with huge community support.
15:30 – Don Rowe is a graduate of the McDaniel’s Masters through Target.
16:40 – Adam’s and Don’s experience with Target clients.
17:55 – Don asks client about their 3 goals… having a relationship with someone of the opposite sex, moving out of parents house, and getting a job.
18:40 – “The world worries about disabilities more than disabled people do.”
19:40 – “A life like yours.”
20:15 – Adam mentions Nick Santonastasso: “The only disability in the world is a bad mindset.”
21:10 – Don mentions Leslie Simmons at Carroll Hospital and the program they started for students with disabilities (Te@ch Program / Transition Education Program at Carroll Hospital). And how a single student has deeply impacted their organization.
22:05 – Adam mentions commentary from Jesse Ventura as a lead in to helping individuals with disabilities becoming contributing members of society. And learning what support goes away when one fo these individuals lands a good job.
23:45 – Recommendations on how to start your own non-profit.
24:45 – How did COVID impact The Arc?
26:00 – Setting up a new Day Program to help keep clients connected during COVID.
27:35 – Brining community back together during the pandemic.
28:00 – The community reaching out to make sure The Arc was OK.
29:45 – How The Arc is changing the perception of disabled individuals.
32:25 – Adam mentions Miles “Smiles” Taylor.
35:10 – Looking for community partners and volunteers to give their clients career and experience opportunities, like Exploration Commons.
37:00 – Volunteers helping with mock-interviews.
38:35 – Why Carroll County, MD?
43:45 – Carroll County has a gravitational pull that always pulls you back.
45:00 – O’Ryan shares how he ended up in Carroll County.
46:20 – Don shares how he ended up in Carroll County.
47:20 – What do you see for The Arc’s future?
48:30 – If you need The Arc’s services (or similar)… Don shares several organizations to check out (listed below in references).
- The Arc of Carroll County: https://arccarroll.org/
- Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities: http://www.carf.org/home/
- Terry’s Tag & Title: https://www.tagsintenminutes.com/
- Target Community & Educational Services: https://www.targetcommunity.org/
- Target-McDaniel Graduate Program: https://www.targetcommunity.org/target-mcdaniel-graduate-program/
- Nick: https://impacttheory.com/episode/nick-santonastasso/
- Te@ch Program / Transition Education Program at Carroll Hospital: https://arccarroll.org/programs/
- Miles “Smiles” Taylor: https://smilestaylor.com/
- Exploration Commons: https://explorationcommons.carr.org/
- Lyndi McNulty of Gizmos Art Custom Framing: https://www.gizmosart.com/
- Rob Shellhamer: https://www.shellhamerphotography.com/
- Penn-Mar Human Services (Change, Inc.): https://www.penn-mar.org/
- Flying Colors of Success, Inc.: https://www.flyingcolorsofsuccess.org/
- Bello Machre: https://bellomachre.org/
Thank You to our Season 1 Sponsor:
We would like to extend our thanks to Tim Chiaruttini of No Anchovies for his belief in us and what we are trying to accomplish with Around Town Carroll County. No Anchovies, home of Taneytown’s best pizza, wings, and salads… teachers of the lost art of pizza-foo… and creators of the all new poppin’ jalapeño sticks. Give No Anchovies a call today at 410-756-6625, or check out their website at www.noanchoviesusa.com. And remember, it’s not just pizza, it’s No Anchovies!